By Molly Scholes, Senior Director, Consulting Services, SkillSoft
As we approach the end of the calendar year, many organizations conduct annual performance reviews to analyze past performance and create a roadmap for future development. To make the most of this process, both managers and employees can benefit from advance preparation and planning. SkillSoft offers many tools and resources to assist your organization during the performance management cycle. Below are some tips and resources for both managers and employees:
- SkillSoft offers a course on delivering reviews called: Performance Reviews . This course offers tips for handling difficult appraisals as well as offering suggestions for creating performance opportunities for employees.
- Books24x7 BusinessPro includes many books on writing and delivering effective performance reviews. A popular favorite is: Perfect Phrases for Performance Reviews: Hundreds of Ready-to-Use Phrases That Describe Your Employees’ Performance by Douglas Max and Robert Bacal.
- Consider creating and distributing a “Manager’s Toolkit” that outlines resources available for managers as well as educates managers about leveraging training resources in their employee development recommendations. The SkillSoft Client Community contains many resources that can be used to make managers aware of SkillSoft performance management resources. Your Learning Consultant can provide more specific recommendations based on the needs of your organization.
- An excellent resource that will help an employee prepare for the annual review is the business impact course: Preparing for Your Performance Appraisal. This 10-minute course shows how proper preparation makes the process less stressful and more beneficial.
- Consider publishing a list of training resources available to employees prior to the performance review process. One of the most common areas of feedback in performance reviews or engagement surveys is that an organization lacks growth and development opportunities. Make sure they’re aware of what’s out there!
- Align learning resources to competencies or areas of importance covered in your organization’s performance evaluation. Your SkillSoft Learning Consultant can assist you with mapping content and marketing this resource to your employees.
Meaningful performance management is a result of preparation and genuine interest from both the employee and manager. Hopefully these tips will support your organization during this important time of year!