October is National Cybersecurity Awareness Month, providing the perfect opportunity for organizations to review their security policies, evaluate alternative options and implement any changes if necessary. The Ponemon Institute’s 2018 Cost of a Data Breach Study shows that the average cost of a data breach incident was approximately $3.86 million, a 6.22% increase from the previous year and a number expected to grow in the future exponentially. Facebook’s recent data breach cost the company a whopping $1.6 billion in regulatory fines, a figure that does yet not include any other financial and reputational losses.
We must not ignore these numbers particularly now as threat actors are becoming smarter at finding ways to penetrate an organization’s secured environment and extract intellectual properties and critical commercial information for financial gains. Organizations need to prioritize and proactively ensure they have the right resources and knowledge to secure their and their customer’s data.
Cybersecurity in the digital age
Digital transformation is profoundly impacting technology. We are in an era where devices, services, individuals and entities all interconnect via complex networks in the cloud. The future holds endless possibilities but also presents many challenges, particularly in the cybersecurity and data loss prevention domain. Emerging technologies and concepts such as cloud migration, artificial intelligence, machine learning, microservices, and big data are charting new courses and shaping modern enterprise architecture. TUV OpenSky identified the following as the six most critical trends in cybersecurity for 2018.
- Global regulation and how it is driving the costs of privacy and data protection.
- Internet of Thing (IoT) and how it is the multi-facet threshold between privacy, safety, cybersecurity and data.
- Operational technology emerges as a frontline for cyber attacks.
- The shift from reactive to proactive reconnaissance threat and vulnerability detection and response.
- The rise of IT domain certifications and their importance for professionals.
- Artificial intelligence (AI) and the way automation tools and services are becoming more prevalent in cyber defense strategies.
Developing your talent
While technology is the catalyst and plays an integral part for organizations to achieve their overall business strategy, the evolution of IT is far outpacing our understanding. As a result, there are now many ambiguities around cybersecurity. While such uncertainty alone is a cause concern, what is further complicating the situation is the shortage of suitable talent. Forrester Research illustrates that 65% of CIOs involved in their Global Business Technographics Priorities and Journey survey stated that the skills shortage was holding them back while the need for technical skills was their second highest priority.
Organizations are struggling to find candidates who fulfill all the requirements making internal training and promotion more critical than ever before. In truth, it is a prudent strategy for companies to pursue as according to Josh Bersin, founder of Bersin by Deloitte, the cost of losing a key employee can range from tens of thousands of dollars to two times annual compensation.
Employees want career development opportunities, and organizations need talent who can grow and adapt as technology continues to evolve. It’s a win-win solution. Before embarking on any learning programs, it makes sense to explore and select a learning solution that not only provides the required training but can deliver it in an engaging and modern manner.
Cybersecurity still is and will always be the foundation of any technical initiatives. Over the past months, Skillsoft reimagined much of our Technology and Developer portfolio to meet the modern learner’s expectations. To assist organizations to fight the cyber battle, we designed our solution to give enterprise technology and software development professionals the only digital solution that:
- is designed according to guidelines and specifications of independent certification authorities such as CompTIA, Microsoft, Google, Amazon, ISC2, ISACA, NIST, NICE, DoD 8570, Cisco, and ITIL with self-paced practice exams and solutions;
- is grounded in MIT backed research and developed with the latest in brain science;
- offers engaging, video-rich learning opportunities woven into the workflow;
- provides content in multiple modalities under the banners of Watch, Read, Listen, and Practice;
- includes CodeX, state-of-the-art virtual labs and coding environments for hands-on experience with key concepts; and
- gives 1:1 mentoring with industry leaders that will guide learners throughout the learning journey and certification exam process.
The best way to experience Skillsoft’s cyber security training solution is to experience it for yourself. Start today with a 14 day free trial on Percipio, our award-winning intelligent learning platform.
Sam Doan is an IT Solution Principal at Skillsoft.