Emotional Intelligence Training
Do you pay attention to your emotions and the feelings of those around you? The answer to this question can help you discover how in tune you are with your emotions and help determine your emotional intelligence quotient, or your EQ.
Your emotional intelligence quotient is your capacity to reason and analyze emotional information. Becoming aware of your emotions can help you become attuned to your own needs and the needs of others, and can help you make better decisions and develop better relationships.
Leaders with a strong mixture of emotional awareness, self-management, and social skills navigate relationships more effectively and are more likely to be successful in their personal and professional lives.
When you are intelligent about your emotions, you're aware that the hardest work is managing the emotions that get in the way of your best performance.
Probably the most essential skill involved in Emotional Intelligence is self-management. It usually rides on the tail of self-awareness…when you notice an emotion. What can happen is that an emotional response takes on a life of its own, gets hijacked, or snowballs into a reaction that is difficult to control.
With self-management skills, you nip it in the bud and control the inward interpretations and outward behaviors associated with strong emotions. You not only self-manage in the moment but you begin to regulate how you typically respond to things that push your buttons. You build a proactive approach to emotional intelligence – first with your awareness and then a natural flow into self-management.
Another reason why self-management is so important is that with it, the relational side of emotional intelligence tends to flow better. You gain appreciation for the challenge of controlling emotional impulses and become more empathetic and patient with others.
Managing your own Anger: the Emotional Response
In this sample lesson from Skillsoft's new line of business skills videos, learn how to manage your anger, the right way.
You can learn all about Emotional Intelligence and start increasing your emotional awareness through a variety of learning resources already available to you online from Skillsoft. Use these resources to learn how to become more aware, and in the process become more successful personally and professionally. These are just a few examples of what’s available for you:
- Leadership Essentials: Leading with Emotional Intelligence
- The Emotionally Intelligent Leader
- How High Is Your EQ?
- Emotional Intelligence at Work
- Emotional Intelligence: Owning Your Emotions
- Emotional Intelligence: Building Self-Management Skills
- Emotional Intelligence: Applying EI at Work
- Emotional Intelligence: Being Aware of the Emotions of Others
- What Makes a Leader: Why Emotional Intelligence Matters - Daniel Goleman
- Emotional Intelligence: Managing Emotions to Make a Positive Impact on Your Life and Career - Gill Hasson
- Put Emotional Intelligence to Work: Equip Yourself for Success - Jeff Feldman
- The Brain and Emotional Intelligence: New Insights (Audio) - Daniel Goleman
- Ego vs EQ: How Top Business Leaders Beat 8 Ego Traps with Emotional Intelligence (Audio) - Jen Shirkani
- Emotional Intelligence 2.0: Taking Your Game to the Next Level – Travis Bradberry
- Understanding Emotional Intelligence – Marcia Reynolds
- Emotional Intelligence Makes the Difference in Candidates – Rob James
- The Importance of Authenticity – Jim Kouzes
- The Five Attributes of Emotional Intelligence – Clarissa Peterson