Beginning Oracle Database 12c Administration: From Novice to Professional, Second Edition
- 5h 50m
- Ignatius Fernandez
Beginning Oracle Database 12c Administration is your entry point into a successful and satisfying career as an Oracle Database Administrator.
The chapters of this book are logically organized into four parts closely tracking the way your database administration career will naturally evolve. Part 1 "Database Concepts" gives necessary background in relational database theory and Oracle Database concepts, Part 2 "Database Implementation" teaches how to implement an Oracle database correctly, Part 3 "Database Support" exposes you to the daily routine of a database administrator, and Part 4 "Database Tuning" introduces the fine art of performance tuning.
Beginning Oracle Database 12c Administration provides information that you won't find in other books on Oracle Database. You'll discover not only technical information, but also guidance on work practices that are as vital to your success as are your technical skills. The author's favorite chapter is "The Big Picture and the Ten Deliverables." (It is the editor’s favorite chapter too!) If you take the lessons in that chapter to heart, you can quickly become a much better Oracle database administrator than you ever thought possible.
You will grasp the key aspects of theory behind relational database management systems and learn how to:
- Install and configure an Oracle database, and ensure that it’s properly licensed;
- Execute common management tasks in a Linux environment;
- Defend against data loss by implementing sound backup and recovery practices; and
- Improve database and query performance.
What you’ll learn
- Execute common management tasks in a Linux environment.
- Take advantage of pluggable database features for cloud and consolidation.
- Install and configure an Oracle database, and see that it's properly licensed.
- Defend against data loss by implementing sound backup and recovery practices.
- Properly size a database, and create indexes to improve its query performance.
- Grasp the key aspects of theory behind relational database management systems.
Who this book is for
Beginning Oracle Database 12c Administration is the perfect book for those wanting to jumpstart a career in database administration. If you're making the move into that role, or if the role has been thrust upon you by circumstances, you can hardly do better than to have author Iggy Fernandez at your side as you learn the ropes and lay down the foundation of your future success.
About the Author
Iggy Fernandez has a rich history of working with Oracle Database in many capacities. He is the author of Beginning Oracle Database 11g Administration (Apress, 2009) and teaches Oracle database administration at University of Washington Professional & Continuing Education. He was the president of the Northern California Oracle Users Group (NoCOUG), the longest running and most active Oracle users group in the world. He writes regularly for the NoCOUG Journal and has been its editor for many years. Iggy's favorite topics are database performance and SQL performance, and he regularly speaks on these topics at Oracle conferences.
In this Book
Relational Database Management Systems
SQL and PL/SQL by Example
Physical Database Design
User Management and Data Loading
The Big Picture and the Ten Deliverables