High Speed Digital System Design: A Handbook of Interconnect Theory and Design Practices
- 5h 19m
- Garrett W. Hall, James A. McCall, Stephen H. Hall
- John Wiley & Sons (US)
A cutting-edge guide to the theory and practice of high-speed digital system design
An understanding of high-speed interconnect phenomena is essential for digital designers who must deal with the challenges posed by the ever-increasing operating speeds of today's microprocessors. This book provides a much-needed, practical guide to the state of the art of modern digital system design, combining easily accessible explanations with immensely useful problem-solving strategies. Written by three leading Intel engineers, High-Speed Digital System Design clarifies difficult and often neglected topics involving the effects of high frequencies on digital buses and presents a variety of proven techniques and application examples. Extensive appendices, formulas, modeling techniques as well as hundreds of figures are also provided. Coverage includes:
- A thorough introduction to the digital aspects of basic transmission line theory
- Crosstalk and nonideal transmission line effects on signal quality and timings
- The impact of packages, vias, and connectors on signal integrity
- The effects of nonidea return current paths, high frequency power delivery, and simultaneous switching noise
- Explanations of how driving circuit characteristics affect the quality of the digital signal
- Digital timing analysis at the system level that incorporates high-speed signaling effects into timing budgets
- Methodologies for designing high-speed buses and handling the very large number of variables that affect interconnect performance
- Radiated emission problems and how to minimize system noise
- The practical aspects of making measurements in high-speed digital systems.
About the Authors
Stephen H. Hall is a Senior Design Engnineer at Intel Corporation, Portland, Oregon.
Garrett W. Hall is a Silicon Systems Engineer at Intel Corporation.
James A. McCall is a Senior Designer Engineer at Intel Corporation.
In this Book
The Importance of Interconnect Design
Ideal Transmission Line Fundamentals
Nonideal Interconnect Issues
Connectors, Packages, and Vias
Nonideal Return Paths, Simultaneous Switching Noise, and Power Delivery
Digital Timing Analysis
Radiated Emissions Compliance and System Noise Minimization
High-Speed Measurement Techniques