Pro Android Graphics
- 9h 53m
- Wallace Jackson
Pro Android Graphics is a comprehensive goldmine of knowledge and techniques that will help you design, create, and optimize 2D graphics for use in your Android Jelly Bean applications. Android application developer and expert multimedia producer Wallace Jackson of Mind Taffy Design shows you how to leverage Android's powerful graphics APIs in conjunction with professional open source graphics design tools such as GIMP 2.8.6 and more.
You’ll learn about:
- The foundational graphics concepts behind the three core new media areas (digital imaging, digital video, and 2D animation) which relate to graphics design, and how to optimize these new media assets for your Android applications across iTVs, tablets, eReaders, game consoles, and smartphones.
- Digital imaging techniques for Android apps design, including graphics design layouts and graphical user interface elements, and how to use image compositing techniques to take your digital imaging to far higher levels.
- Advanced image compositing and blending techniques, using Android’s PorterDuff, NinePatch, and LayerDrawable classes.
- Advanced 2D animation techniques, using Android’s Animation and AnimationDrawable classes.
- Digital video optimization, playback, and streaming, using open source 3D (Terragen 3) and video (VirtualDub) applications, as well as professional video editing applications such as Squeeze Pro 9. You’ll use these software packages with Android’s VideoView and MediaPlayer classes, and add compositing to enhance your end-users’ digital video experience.
What you’ll learn
- How to build graphics rich Android apps and games
- What are the key Android Graphics support APIs: Images, Animation and Video Concepts
- What are the digital imaging techniques for Android apps
- What are the advanced animation techniques for Android apps
- How to do digital video optimization for Android apps
Who this book is for
Pro Android Graphics is written for experienced Android developers and advanced multimedia artisans, especially those who want to create rich, vibrant-looking graphics-related applications.
About the Author
Wallace Jackson has been writing for leading multimedia publications about his work in new media content development since the advent of Multimedia Producer Magazine nearly two decades ago, when he wrote about computer processor architectures for centerfolds (removable "mini-issue" insert) distributed at SIGGRAPH. Since then, Wallace has written for several other publications about his work in interactive 3D and new media advertising campaign design, including 3D Artist, Desktop Publishers Journal, CrossMedia, AVvideo and Kiosk Magazine.
In this Book
Android Digital Imaging: Formats, Concepts, and Optimization
Android Digital Video: Formats, Concepts, and Optimization
Android Frame Animation: XML, Concepts, and Optimization
Android Procedural Animation: XML, Concepts, and Optimization
Android DIP: Device-Independent Pixel Graphics Design
Android UI Layouts: Graphics Design Using the ViewGroup Class
Android UI Widgets: Graphics Design Using the View Class
Advanced ImageView: More Graphics Design Using ImageView
Advanced ImageButton: Creating a Custom Multi-State ImageButton
Using 9-Patch Imaging Techniques to Create Scalable Imaging Elements
Advanced Image Blending: Using Android PorterDuff Classes
Advanced Image Compositing: Using the LayerDrawable Class
Digital Image Transitions: Using the TransitionDrawable Class
Frame-Based Animation: Using the AnimationDrawable Class
Procedural Animation: Using the Animation Classes
Advanced Graphics: Mastering the Drawable Class
Interactive Drawing: Using Paint and Canvas Classes Interactively
Playing Captive Video Using the VideoView and MediaPlayer Classes
Streaming Digital Video from an External Media Server