Troubleshooting Oracle Performance, Second Edition
- 14h 39m
- Christian Antognini
Troubleshooting Oracle Performance, 2nd Edition is your systematic guide to diagnosing and resolving performance problems in database-backed applications involving Oracle's database engine. Christian Antognini brings a decade and a half experience to his topic. His first edition is one of the most well-respected books in its field. This second edition has been rigorously updated to cover the latest developments in Oracle Database 11g Release 2 through Oracle Database 12c.
What do you do when your database application isn’t running fast enough? You troubleshoot, of course. Finding the slow part of an application is often the easy part of the battle. It’s finding a solution that’s difficult. Troubleshooting Oracle Performance, 2nd Edition helps by providing a systematic approach to addressing the underlying causes of poor database application performance. The author freely shares his experience while explaining the underlying foundations of how SQL statements are executed by the Oracle database engine. You'll be able to draw a solid foundation of theory and shared experience as you face head-on the performance challenges in your daily work.
- Written for developers by an application developer who has learned by doing
- Gives a systematic approach to solving database application performance problems
- Helps you plan for performance as you would for any other application requirement
What you’ll learn
- Systematically identify performance problems
- Configure the query optimizer to meet performance goals
- Read and recognize inefficient execution plans
- Minimize the impact of parsing upon performance
- Optimize data access, joins, and the physical design of your database
- Improve performance through parallel processing, materialized views, and result caching
- Apply SQL tuning techniques such as hints, SQL profiles, stored outlines, and SQL plan baselines
- Reduce inefficiencies from too much procedural code
Who this book is for
Troubleshooting Oracle Performance, Second Edition is targeted at application developers and database administrators involved in troubleshooting performance problems in Oracle-based applications.
About the Author
Since 1995, Christian Antognini has focused on understanding how Oracle Database works. His main interests include logical and physical database design, the query optimizer, and basically everything else related to application performance management. He is currently working as a senior principal consultant and trainer at Trivadis in Zürich, Switzerland.
If Christian is not helping one of his customers get the most out of Oracle, he is somewhere lecturing on application performance management or new Oracle Database features for developers. In addition to classes and seminars organized by Trivadis, he regularly presents at conferences and user-group meetings. He is a proud member of the OakTable Network and an Oracle ACE Director.
In this Book
Analysis of Reproducible Problems
Real-Time Analysis of Irreproducible Problems
Postmortem Analysis of Irreproducible Problems
Introducing the Query Optimizer
Configuring the Query Optimizer
SQL Optimization Techniques
Optimizing Data Access
Beyond Data Access and Join Optimization
Optimizing the Physical Design