Unix and Shell Programming, Second Edition
- Anoop Chaturvedi, B.L. Rai
- Laxmi Publications
This book, designed to meet the course on UNIX and SHELL Programming for graduate and undergraduate engineering students, presents an illuminative and objective exploration of algorithms and programming skills on UNIX and SHELL. The authors discuss all the concepts such as operating system services, file system, buffer cache, reading and writing disk blocks, inode assignment to a new file, system calls, structure and control of a process, inter-process communication, and sockets with the help of illustrations, tables, block diagrams, and industry based practical examples. This volume also examines the detail of UNIX command, SHELL, AWK, and PERL programming with a large number of practical examples supported by their algorithm.
Written in a student-friendly manner the book is enriched with the following features:
- Algorithms for a number of problems have been given to inculcate real programming skills
- Describe and compare the algorithm used in UNIX system to that used in other operating systems
- Syntax for a large number of UNIX command
- SHELL script for a number of real life problems
- Brief of AWK and PERL programming
- Straight forward exercises to illustrate the concepts at the end of the book The book is useful for general students, engineering students of graduate and postgraduate level, subject teachers, professionals, application programmers, and industry specialist associated with the UNIX and SHELL programming.
About the Authors
Prof. Anoop Chaturvedi, an M.Tech. in Computer Science from RGPV Bhopal (MP), is presently working as an Associate Professor in the Department of Computer Science & Engineering at LNCT, Bhopal. An expert on UNIX and SHELL programming, he has more than 10 years of teaching experience and 15 national and 3 international papers to his credit.
Prof. B. L. Rai, who did his M.Tech. from RGPV Bhopal (MP) is presently working as an Associate Professor in the Department of Computer Science & Engineering at JNCT, Bhopal. With a more than 9 years teaching experience, he has published more than 15 papers in journals of national and international repute.
In this Book
Introduction to Unix
Operating System Services
Reading and Writing Disk Blocks
Inode Assignment to a New File
Structure of a Process
AWK and Perl Programming