September Newsletter: Bootcamps Unleashed
Unleash Your Edge with September Bootcamps
Technology is rapidly growing, and so can you. Choose from upcoming intensive bootcamps for an immersive, live, instructor-led experience. Get the skills and competencies you need to become the go-to guru, in-house expert, or just land that next project.
Take a peek at the calendar of upcoming Bootcamps and find the session for you.
Understanding Bias in Data Bootcamp
Dr. Ruha Benjamin is a professor of African American Studies at Princeton University and thought leader at the intersection of race and technology, science, and medicine.
From everyday apps to complex algorithms, technology has the potential to hide, speed, and even deepen discrimination, while appearing neutral and even benevolent when compared to practices of a previous era. Join Dr. Benjamin for her Day 1 keynote for our upcoming Understanding Bias in Data Bootcamp on Sept 29.
“So often technology is perceived by the public to be untouched by human bias. The reality is that the technologies shaping our world are deeply shaped by the humans who create it,” said Dr. Ruha Benjamin. “As tech practitioners and developers broaden and learn new techniques for data science, machine learning, and AI, a deep understanding around bias and how to identify and prevent it is vital to creating a world that’s positively – rather than negatively – shaped by technology.”
In Day 1 of the Understanding Bias in Data Bootcamp, Ruha presents the concept of the “New Jim Code" to explore a range of discriminatory designs that encode inequity: by explicitly amplifying racial hierarchies, by ignoring but thereby replicating social divisions, or by aiming to fix racial bias but ultimately doing quite the opposite.
Ruha will help the audience consider how race itself is a kind of tool designed to stratify and sanctify social injustice and discuss how technology is and can be used toward liberatory ends. This presentation takes us into the world of biased bots, altruistic algorithms, and their many entanglements, and provides conceptual tools to decode tech promises with sociologically informed skepticism. In doing so, it challenges us to question not only the technologies we are sold but also the ones we manufacture ourselves.
With the nature of work constantly changing you may find yourself on unfamiliar ground. Maybe you're being asked to do more. Maybe you're being asked to work faster. Maybe you're concerned that your skills are out of date. Skillsoft's Bootcamps are here to help, no matter your expertise level.
Last month we highlighted how research scientist Gail Guo will leverage skills learned in the Data Wrangling with Python Bootcamp to aid in the quest to cure cancer. This month we want to spotlight intern and cybersecurity student Roshni Shukla's started her career off by building in-demand data skills in July's PowerBI Desktop Bootcamp.
Congratulations, Roshni, and best of luck in your career!
Now, we want to hear from you! Share your Bootcamp story and tag @Skillsoft on LinkedIn, Twitter, or Facebook, and you could be featured in next month's newsletter!
Upcoming Bootcamps Calendar
Find all free Bootcamps at Skillsoft.com/bootcamps
- 9/21 – 9/24 – Full Stack Development with React
- 9/21 – 9/25 – Certifed Info Systems Security Professional (CISSP) (FREE TO THE PUBLIC)
- 9/29-9/30 – Bias in Data and AI (FREE TO THE PUBLIC)
- 9/28 & 9/30 – PMP New Exam Information
- 10/5-10/9- PMP New Exam Prep
- 10/12-10/13 – AWS Cloud Practitioner (FREE TO THE PUBLIC)
- 10/13-10/16 – Microsoft Azure Fundamentals
- 10/15 – Intro to Agile Principles and Mindset
- 10/19- 10/22 – Full Stack Development with the MEAN Stack
- 11/2-11/6 – Agile Project Management
- 11/9-11/11 – CompTIA Security+ Crash Course (FREE TO THE PUBLIC)
- 11/12 – Intro to Scrum for the Team
- 11/16-11/19 – Full Stack Development with React
- 11/30-12/4 – Certifed Info Systems Security Professional (CISSP)
- 12/7-12/11 – PMP New Exam Prep (FREE TO THE PUBLIC)
- 12/7-12/10 – Full Stack Developer
HOW TO ACCESS ALL BOOTCAMPS:
Skillsoft may run upwards of 7 Bootcamps a month for our customers. Every month, we'll open at least one Bootcamp up for free to the public. To access all Bootcamps on the calendar, contact us to get your organization set up and ready to unleash your edge.
- North America: 1-866-757-3177
- EMEA: +44 7770 389 735
- APAC (minus India): +61 2 8067 8663
- India: +91 22 5036 5002/04